Re: University rankings?

rweaver@ix.netcom.com (Richard Weaver)
9 Jun 1998 11:53:54 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
University rankings? vss@cs.clemson.edu (Vadhiyar Sathish S) (1998-05-26)
Re: University rankings? danwang+news@CS.Princeton.EDU (Daniel C. Wang) (1998-05-30)
Re: University rankings? rweaver@ix.netcom.com (1998-06-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: rweaver@ix.netcom.com (Richard Weaver)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 9 Jun 1998 11:53:54 -0400

Vadhiyar Sathish S <vss@cs.clemson.edu> writes:
> Can anyone help me with this? What are the top schools for PhD
> program in compilers?

The National Academy of Sciences tracks (or used to track, I assume
they still do) PhD "production" by school and field. Depending on how
fine the "field" definition is, their report would identify the set of
schools to be considered.

NAS also wanted (this "want" was many years ago) to determine the
"success" of PhDs for each school. If that has been achieved, I've
absolutely no idea, then better yet -- the top schools are those
producing "successful" PhDs. Well, if it takes 10 years to be a
success then you know the top school in 1987. Still, you might take a
look at what NAS has.

Dick W

btw, NAS had a rational interest -- they funded programs to encourage
PhD production and wanted to know which schools/programs were working
and which wern't.