Re: An Odd Grammar Question

Joachim Durchholz <>
18 May 1998 00:10:00 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
An Odd Grammar Question (1998-05-15)
Re: An Odd Grammar Question (Vadim Maslov) (1998-05-17)
Re: An Odd Grammar Question (Joachim Durchholz) (1998-05-18)
Re: An Odd Grammar Question (Chris Dodd) (1998-05-18)
Re: An Odd Grammar Question (1998-05-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Joachim Durchholz <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 May 1998 00:10:00 -0400

Our moderator wrote:
> [There are other languages than Cobol with a "super close". Various
> cruddy old Basics come to mind. -John]

Don't forget the super brackets in some Lisp dialect (Interlisp I
think - it's been decades since), like
  < some S-expressions that may be missing a few closing parentheses >
The closing > will stand in for the missing closing parentheses.
This is a bit different from the END-ALL problem because < > can be
nested, but I think the technique for parsing these is the same.

[My recollection is that those superparens were expanded to regular
parens at the time they were scanned, but I can imagine that different
versions of Lisp did different things. -John]