Re: Interpreters and (math) speed (Renaud Marlet)
7 May 1998 17:02:24 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Interpreters and (math) speed (1998-05-04)
Re: Interpreters and (math) speed (1998-05-07)
Re: Interpreters and (math) speed (Adam Granicz) (1998-05-07)
Re: Interpreters and (math) speed (Robert Bernecky) (1998-05-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Renaud Marlet)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 7 May 1998 17:02:24 -0400
> 'graphics language'
> [...]
> what do people, who are thinking about
> compiler/interpreter technology all the time, think of using an
> interpreter for such a task ? Could it be made fast enough, especially
> for calculations

One solution to building implementations of domain-specific languages
is indeed to write a interpreter on top of an abstract machine
(basically, a library), i.e., to offer a programmable interface on top
of a computation model.

If the overhead of the interpretation layer happens to be a
performance bottleneck, you might consider removing it automatically
using a partial evaluator, i.e., specializing your interpreter with
respect to given 'graphics programs'.

Some links:

  - How to architecture and implement a DSL
  - Examples
  - DSL related projects

  - Short introduction to partial evaluation
  - Tempo Specializer, a partial evaluator for C
  - C-Mix, a partial evaluator for C

Renaud Marlet