UIL - Universal Intermediate Language

"Scott Guthery" <sguthery@tiac.net>
7 May 1998 17:00:52 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
UIL - Universal Intermediate Language sguthery@tiac.net (Scott Guthery) (1998-05-07)
Re: UIL - Universal Intermediate Language dwight@pentasoft.com (1998-05-12)
Re: UIL - Universal Intermediate Language laheadle@cs.uchicago.edu (Lyn A Headley) (1998-05-15)
Re: UIL - Universal Intermediate Language danwang+news@cs.Princeton.EDU (Daniel C. Wang) (1998-05-17)
Re: UIL - Universal Intermediate Language laheadle@cs.uchicago.edu (Lyn A Headley) (1998-05-18)
Re: UIL - Universal Intermediate Language shao@cs.yale.edu (Zhong Shao) (1998-05-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Scott Guthery" <sguthery@tiac.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 7 May 1998 17:00:52 -0400

In the early to mid 60's there was a spate of interest in a virtual
assembly language called the Universal Intermediate Language. The
idea was that you could write in it or compile to it and then assemble
to any machine you like. At the time it was a novel idea and there
was even some standarization work on UIL.

Anybody have any docs for UIL? I'm particularly interested in the
order codes.

Thanks for any leads.

Cheers, Scott
[The traditional term for such a language is UNCOL, the name of the
first such project that failed in the 1950s. There have been a lot of
UNCOL projects over the years and they've all failed because nobody's
been able to capture the semantics of all programming languages and all
target architectures in a way that is abstract enough that you don't end
up with a pile of special hacks for each source language yet concrete
enough that you can produce efficient target programs. I suspect that the
range of supporting environments is as much of a problem as the order code,
e.g. consider a system that has to support Cobol and Lisp. -John]