Interpreters and (math) speed (Stefan Wils)
4 May 1998 23:12:00 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Interpreters and (math) speed (1998-05-04)
Re: Interpreters and (math) speed (1998-05-07)
Re: Interpreters and (math) speed (Adam Granicz) (1998-05-07)
Re: Interpreters and (math) speed (Robert Bernecky) (1998-05-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Stefan Wils)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 4 May 1998 23:12:00 -0400

I'm kind of new to this area, but I am in the process of designing a
'graphics language' : a language which has a very extended set of
graphics primitives and a huge number of mathematical routines and
other routines. Algorithms like raytracing, or lens flare
implementations and z-buffering are then to be programmed in this
language, kind of like RenderMan but much extremer and flexible.

So my question is : what do people, who are thinking about
compiler/interpreter technology all the time, think of using an
interpreter for such a task ? Could it be made fast enough, especially
for calculations (note that support for real-time graphics is not the
purpose ! We're talking about rendering realistic graphics here,
e.g. over a network. But even then speed is an issue.)

I don't know if Im gonna get response, but all tips and hints about
whether or not it can be done and what techniques to use are more than
welcome. A tip on where to start would be nice too.

Thanks in advance,

Stefan Wils (
[Depends on the granularity of the operations. If each op is big enough,
the interpreter overhead vanishes into the noise. That's why interpretive
matrix math systems are popular. -John]