Re: Translating Delphi 1.x code to Delphi 3.x

prucha@helicon.co.at (Andreas Prucha)
4 May 1998 23:00:41 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Translating Delphi 1.x code to Delphi 3.x cogar@scenicsoft.com (L Cogar) (1998-04-29)
Re: Translating Delphi 1.x code to Delphi 3.x prucha@helicon.co.at (1998-05-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: prucha@helicon.co.at (Andreas Prucha)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.pascal.delphi.misc
Date: 4 May 1998 23:00:41 -0400

L Cogar <cogar@scenicsoft.com> wrote:
>I need to translate a lot of old 16-bit code from a Delphi 1.0 project
>into 32-bit Delphi 3.0 form.

I think this is the wrong newgroup for this question. Anway, I don't
really understand it. D1 sourcecode usually does not need to be
translated to be compatible to D3. In most cases it's a simple
recompile. I have a lot of Delphi programs I compile for Win16 and for
Win32 from the same sourcecode. Well, there might be a few cases where
you have to make changes. VBXs are not longer supported under Win32
(but that's not Borlands fault). But VBX has never been a good choice.
Native VCL is much better. And some API-calls have to be changed for
Win32, which is not Borland's fault either. Well, I think you will be
able to compile with D3 w/o or with only a few changes. And if place
some {$IFDEF WIN32} in your code, you will be able to compile to both
platforms.

Andreas

PS: f'up to comp.lang.pascal.delphi.misc

--
helicon software development | Localization Tool for Borland Delphi 3
helicon@helicon.co.at | helicon Translator for Delphi 3