O'Reilly Lex&Yacc Book

Chris Kaltwasser <chris@chrisk.com>
21 Apr 1998 00:39:58 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
O'Reilly Lex&Yacc Book chris@chrisk.com (Chris Kaltwasser) (1998-04-21)
Re: O'Reilly Lex&Yacc Book roseberry@bigfoot.com (Michael J. Roseberry) (1998-04-29)
Re: O'Reilly Lex&Yacc Book martin@mjedev.demon.co.uk (1998-04-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Chris Kaltwasser <chris@chrisk.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 Apr 1998 00:39:58 -0400

I am currently teaching myself lex and yacc by reading the lex & yacc
book from O'Reilly & Associates. The 2nd edition is a great
improvement over the 1st which I had tried several years ago. The
O'Reilly web site says that John Levine manages this newsgroup so I was
especially hopefull that I could have some additional information.

I am finished with chapter 3 and doing the exercises at the end they are
getting a bit difficult and open ended. Problem number 7 is very
interesting to me, because my basic intention is to create a domain
specific language that the calculator example seems to be moving me
towards. (Problem 7 gives some pointers on how to extend the calculator
to have user defined functions.)

Question 8 asks a question that I think I prefer the book to have
answered. My sense is NO, but I don't have anything to back it up
with!!!

Thus I have the following question:

Where can I find the answers to the exercises? Is there a source?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Chris Kaltwasser
[Hey, I just wrote the questions. You get to write the answers. But
the answer to question 8, would it be a good idea to expand the desk
calculator example into a full-fledged programming language, is no,
because the world doesn't need yet another language that's sort of
like Fortran but not very. -John]