Re: GIRLS

"W. Craig Trader" <ct7@mitre.org>
13 Apr 1998 00:20:23 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
GIRLS hugo@morantek.demon.co.uk (1998-04-03)
Re: GIRLS mbrennan@brennan-software.com (Michael J. Brennan) (1998-04-09)
Re: GIRLS ct7@mitre.org (W. Craig Trader) (1998-04-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "W. Craig Trader" <ct7@mitre.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Apr 1998 00:20:23 -0400

Hugh Gleaves wrote:

> Does anyone recall a langage (or OS ?) that went by the name
> of GIRLS ?
>
> It was a real system, with an amusing name that abbreviated
> to GIRLS.
>
> I read about it years ago but cant recall where.

History lesson time.

GIRLS was a not-quite relational database product that was developed for
the US Army by Dick Pick and several other people who actually did most
of the work, but let Pick keep the credit. After re-selling the idea to
several mini-computer companies, in the 80's Dick Pick found Pick Systems
(http://www.picksys.com/) to sell the Pick OS on PC-based systems.

For the sanitized version of the history see:

http://www.picksys.com/company/corp.pdf

> (Maybee I can get a job working on GIRLS !)
> [Not in this decade. -John]

Well, not GIRLS itself (the Army phased that out decades ago) but the
Pick OS still exists in many incarnations ... most of them running on
top of some form of Unix. Mostly it's used in vertical applications;
there are a lot of companies that use a Pick-based RDBMS to run their
mission-critical applications.

--
W. Craig Trader, Senior Internet Engineer <ct7@mitre.org>