"Michael J. Brennan" <>
9 Apr 1998 01:17:38 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
GIRLS (1998-04-03)
Re: GIRLS (Michael J. Brennan) (1998-04-09)
Re: GIRLS (W. Craig Trader) (1998-04-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Michael J. Brennan" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 9 Apr 1998 01:17:38 -0400

Hugh Gleaves wrote:
> Does anyone recall a langage (or OS ?) that went by the name
> of GIRLS ?

GIRLS was the orginal name for the PICK (OS and Database) from Richard

"In 1965, as part of a research and development project for the
U.S. Army, engineers at TRW Corp developed a software program
called Generalized Information Retrieval Lanaguage and System."
Or GIRLS for short.

> (Maybee I can get a job working on GIRLS !)

Pick and its clones (UniVerse, Prime Information, UniData, etc.) are
still around so I guess it is possible to get your dream job. Hope you
enjoy Pick Basic and "Post-Relational" database theory (which came
before relational.)
Michael J. Brennan
Brennan Software Development, Inc.