Re: Scripting language interfaces

eclectictech@usa.net (Sebastiano Pilla)
30 Mar 1998 21:46:33 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Scripting language interfaces steve@blighty.com (Steve Atkins) (1998-03-24)
Re: Scripting language interfaces daniel@dittmar.net (1998-03-30)
Re: Scripting language interfaces eclectictech@usa.net (1998-03-30)
Re: Scripting language interfaces siv_941268@kredit.nhh.no (Roland Kaufmann) (1998-04-03)
Re: Scripting language interfaces tincho@crl.com.no.spam (Martin Bertolino) (1998-04-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: eclectictech@usa.net (Sebastiano Pilla)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 30 Mar 1998 21:46:33 -0500

Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com> wrote:

> Some people like scheme, some prefer tcl, others visual basic, and yet
> others perl...

> It would be nice if the enduser could take its favourite scripting
> language plugin, add it to its new application and have everything
> work.

> Has anyone seen any work on a standard API for scripting languages?

Apple has developed the Open Scripting Architecture (OSA) to allow
many different scripting languages to co-exist, and to allow users
write scripts in the scripting language they prefer, as long as the
language is OSA-compliant (and the application they want to script is
OSA-compliant, too).

AppleScript is the prominent OSA scripting language in use on the
MacOS, since it is commonly installed with the system software;
Frontier <http://www.scripting.com> is another popular scripting
system, and (from vers. 5) runs on NT, too. I'm sure there are other
products in this area.

You can find more information about this subject at Apple's DevWorld
site <http://devworld.apple.com>; the technical reference is the
"Inside Macintosh: Interapplication Communication" volume, and is
freely downloadable in Acrobat PDF format. You may even want to search
the MacTech site <http://www.mactech.com>, since they have many past
issues avilable online (look for the August 1993 issue).

I must remark, however, that OSA runs only on MacOS computers, as far
as I know.

Regards
Sebastiano Pilla