no reserved words (Hugh Gleaves)
8 Mar 1998 12:18:09 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
no reserved words (1998-03-08)
Re: no reserved words (Chris F Clark) (1998-03-12)
Re: no reserved words (Jerry Leichter) (1998-03-13)
Re: no reserved words (William D Clinger) (1998-03-15)
Re: no reserved words (Stephen P Spackman) (1998-03-18)
Re: no reserved words (Sandeep Dutta) (1998-03-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Hugh Gleaves)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Mar 1998 12:18:09 -0500

I Would Like To Know If Common Tools Like Lex And Yacc, Are Capable Of
Handling Languages That Have No Reserved Words.

For Example I Have Written A Large (But Incomplete) Parser By Hand
(Recursive Descent In c) That Readily Parses Stuff Like:

if if = then then
      else = call;
      call goto;

goto then;

The Language Definition Imposes The 'No Reserved Words' Rule.

I Am Considering Restarting From Scratch And Using Tools, My Question
Is Does This Requirement Push Such Tools Too Far ?

[It's nearly impossible using yacc. The 1972 yacc tech report basically
says "don't do that". Unless you need to parse an existing language like
PL/I without reserved words, I don't see the point. -John]