Re: Need advices for creating a proprietary language

"Mark Harrison" <markh@usai.asiainfo.com>
7 Mar 1998 22:44:48 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Need advices for creating a proprietary language mike@heliovisionsproductions.fr (Mike) (1998-03-03)
Re: Need advices for creating a proprietary language laheadle@cs.uchicago.edu (Lyn A Headley) (1998-03-06)
Re: Need advices for creating a proprietary language sandy.harris@sympatico.ca (1998-03-06)
Re: Need advices for creating a proprietary language joachim.durchholz@munich.netsurf.de (Joachim Durchholz) (1998-03-07)
Re: Need advices for creating a proprietary language mc@hack.org (MC) (1998-03-07)
Re: Need advices for creating a proprietary language markh@usai.asiainfo.com (Mark Harrison) (1998-03-07)
Re: Need advices for creating a proprietary language nixon@softlab.se (Leif Nixon) (1998-03-12)
Re: Need advices for creating a proprietary language tucny@km1.fjfi.cvut.cz (Ondrej Tucny) (1998-03-12)
Re: Need advices for creating a proprietary language ddd@hplisolx.grenoble.hp.com (Dupont de Dinechin Christophe) (1998-03-15)
Re: Need advices for creating a proprietary language byte@lmn.pub.ro (Laurentiu Badea) (1998-03-18)
Re: Need advices for creating a proprietary language kochenbu@khe.siemens.de (Andreas Kochenburger) (1998-03-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Mark Harrison" <markh@usai.asiainfo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 7 Mar 1998 22:44:48 -0500

Sandy Harris wrote in message 98-03-041...
>"Mike" <mike@heliovisionsproductions.fr> wrote:
>
>>For an internal (in the company I'm working for) project, I have to
develop
>>a special simple language. . . .
>>What I need, is to create a compiler that transform simple text files in a
>>kind of P-Code that will be interpreted in the game.
>>So, I have to check the syntaxis correctness, to check if all the
functions
>>and structures are ok, and to handle the game ressources:
>
>Have a look at TCL, Tool Command Language. C code for an extensible
>interpreter, designed to save everyone time & effort building front
>ends for assorted things.

I can follow up with a recommendation for Tcl... I have built a
similar system (only instead of characters, they were processes
running as part of a telecom network, reacting to external events and
messages sent to each other. It is really a neat way of building a
fault tolerant system that can "intelligently" heal itself.)

Here are a couple of references that you might find interesting:

1. Michael Johnson's PhD. Thesis, "WavesWorld: A Testbed for
        Three Dimensional Semi-Autonomous Animated Characters". In
        addition to the (interesting) subject matter, it is quite
        amazing to see character behavior descripted as a Tcl
        script. http://wave.www.media.mit.edu/people/wave/

2. "Tcl On Mars" by David Smyth. I don't have the URL in
        front of me, but it shows how Tcl was used in one
        version of the Pathfinder flight control software, which
        was set up as a set of communicating independent agents
        using the "actor" model.

3. (gratuitous plug) Chapter 7 of "Effective Tcl/Tk
        Programming" -- coauthored by me, so hardly a subjective
        opinion -- has a pretty good outline of setting up
        applications as a set of asynchronous communicating
        agents. It's in the context of writing distributed
        client server applications, but I think that the same
        principles will apply to the application area you
        mentioned.

Hope this helps,
Mark.