|SML/NJ Version 110 released email@example.com (Dave MacQueen) (1998-03-05)|
|From:||Dave MacQueen <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|Date:||5 Mar 1998 23:19:46 -0500|
Standard ML of New Jersey
Release of Version 110, February 1998
The 1998 release (version 110) of Standard ML of New Jersey is now available,
the first general public release since version 0.93 in February, 1993.
Version 110 of SML/NJ has:
* full, robust implementation of the Standard ML language
* many performance improvements since version 0.93
* support for the SML'97 revised definition of SML
* support for the SML'97 Basis Library, with standardized access to
operating system features, floating point, library support, etc.
* CM compilation manager to support development of large systems
* support for many machines (Sparc, Pentium, Alpha, SGI/Mips, RS/6000, HPPA)
* support for Unix (many flavors) and Windows ('95, NT)
* Standard ML of New Jersey Library (see source signatures for documentation)
* CML (Concurrent ML)
* eXene (interface to X Window system)
* programming tool set: ML-Lex, ML-Yacc, ML-Burg, execution profiler
* facility for interface to C programs
* web-based documentation available for download
Version 110 is much more thoroughly tested than previous working
versions, and we believe it to be fairly free of serious bugs. We
strongly urge that those who are still using SML/NJ 0.93 and those who
have been using intermediate working versions should move to Version
110. We intend to update Version 110 with patch versions to fix
problems that are reported (current patch version is 110.0.3).
Standard ML of New Jersey is distributed with source under a liberal license.
The SML/NJ Version 110 software distribution is available at:
Bell Labs: ftp://ftp.research.bell-labs.com/dist/smlnj/release/110/
Mirror Sites: ftp://rodin.stanford.edu/pub/smlnj/release/110/
or through the SML/NJ web site at:
How do I use SML/NJ 110? How can I learn about ML?
What is the SML '97 Basis Library?
How do I convert my SML/NJ 0.93 programs to SML/NJ 110?
How do I install SML/NJ?
SML/NJ 110 has been tested on these machine/OS combinations:
Sun Sparc: SunOS 4.1.3, Solaris 2.5.1
DEC Alpha: Digital Unix 4.0, OSF/1 3.2
SGI MIPS R4400, R10000: IRIX [5.3, 6.2-6.4]
IBM RS/6000: AIX [3.2, 4.1]
Intel Pentium: Win'95, WinNT, Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris 2.5.1
HP HPPA: HPUX 10.1
There are a number of other OS/ARCH combinations that probably work,
but haven't been tested by us: MIPS/Irix 4.0.x, x86/NetBSD,
We recommend running SML/NJ on machines with at least 32MB of RAM, and
serious development will require plentiful swap space -- 128MB should
You can contact us at email@example.com, and bug reports
should go to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Return to the
Search the comp.compilers archives again.