C compiler questions

judith@super.org (Judith D. Schlesinger)
3 Mar 1998 10:51:04 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C compiler questions judith@super.org (1998-03-03)
Re: C compiler questions sethml@ugcs.caltech.edu (1998-03-06)
Re: C compiler questions wfahle@airmail.net.nospam (Bill Fahle) (1998-03-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: judith@super.org (Judith D. Schlesinger)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Mar 1998 10:51:04 -0500

Hi Everyone---

I was wondering if anyone knows of a C to "simplified" C translator.
What I'm thinking of here is a version of C that eliminates complex
arguments in function calls by doing the temporary assignments before
the call, simplifies boolean expressions and queries by breaking them
apart and using temps or code duplication to eliminate side effects
(embedded assignments, function calls, etc.), and so on.

Any leads on such a beast would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows how to get the symbol table
generated by gcc during compilation. It would seem that there should
be some option that would place it in a file or something but we
haven't been able to come up with a way. Some hints about where to
stop the compilation process and look for the symbol table would be
very helpful if there's no simpler way.

Thanks in advance--

Judith Schlesinger
judith@super.org