Re: Thunk routines (Scott Amspoker)
3 Mar 1998 10:50:21 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Thunk routines DAVEJ3@Prodigy.Net (DAVEJ3) (1998-02-20)
Re: Thunk routines (1998-03-03)
Re: Thunk routines (Nick Roberts) (1998-03-06)
Re: Thunk routines (1998-03-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Scott Amspoker)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Mar 1998 10:50:21 -0500

DAVEJ3 <DAVEJ3@Prodigy.Net> wrote:

>Does anybody know where the routine name Thunk came from?
>[It was coined about 1960 to describe the callback routines needed to
>implement call-by-name, shortly after the Algol60 committee realized
>they'd invented call-by-name by mistake. -John]

Thank you for the reality check on "thunk". For ages I always thought that's
what it was (used to implement call-by-name) but it seems that the usage has
changed in recent years - refering to a glue layer between incompatible
modules. I figured I remembered incorrectly.

Scott Amspoker | | Expressed opinions are mine | and not those of my employer.