Re: Interpretable intermediate code design?

Alexander Kjeldaas <>
20 Feb 1998 17:57:50 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Interpretable intermediate code design? (Joachim Durchholz) (1998-02-12)
Re: Interpretable intermediate code design? (David Chase) (1998-02-14)
Re: Interpretable intermediate code design? (Robert Trevellyan) (1998-02-14)
Re: Interpretable intermediate code design? (Alexander Kjeldaas) (1998-02-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Alexander Kjeldaas <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 Feb 1998 17:57:50 -0500

[Joachim Durchholz <>]
| I'm in need for an intermediate code format that's also usable as VM
| code. References to relevant design principles preferred, though
| existing designs are appreciated, too. I.e. I know the JVM format
| (roughly), but I don't know wether it's good or bad, and even if I
| knew I wouldn't know why and I wouldn't be able to improve on it.

The following papers from The SIGPLAN Workshop on Intermediate
Representations (IR '95) could be interesting. The first basically
describes the JavaVM, while the other describes a competing
intermediate code developed at sun that is quite fast.

Oak Intermediate Bytecodes by James Gosling (Sun Microsystems

Clarity Mcode: A Retargetable Intermediate Representation for
Compilation by Brian T. Lewis (Sun Microsystms Laboratories).

IR '95 is available for free [but not online] as a technical report
from Microsoft Research.

  Alexander Kjeldaas, Guardian Networks AS, Trondheim, Norway