Re: Use of unaligned load/stores by compilers

Reid Tatge <reid@micro.ti.com>
30 Jan 1998 00:28:56 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Use of unaligned load/stores by compilers sazal@aol.com (1998-01-24)
Re: Use of unaligned load/stores by compilers - or doing things by hal dlmoore@ix.netcom.com (David L Moore) (1998-01-25)
Re: Use of unaligned load/stores by compilers falan@inreach.com (Alan Fargusson) (1998-01-25)
Re: Use of unaligned load/stores by compilers corbett@lupa.Eng.Sun.COM (1998-01-25)
Re: Use of unaligned load/stores by compilers hrubin@stat.purdue.edu (1998-01-26)
Re: Use of unaligned load/stores by compilers - or doing things by hal henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) (1998-01-26)
Re: Use of unaligned load/stores by compilers scott@basis.com (1998-01-30)
Re: Use of unaligned load/stores by compilers reid@micro.ti.com (Reid Tatge) (1998-01-30)
Re: Use of unaligned load/stores by compilers tgl@netcom.com (Tom Lane) (1998-02-01)
Re: Use of unaligned load/stores by compilers albaugh@agames.com (1998-02-01)
Re: Use of unaligned load/stores by compilers hrubin@stat.purdue.edu (1998-02-01)
Re: Use of unaligned load/stores by compilers dlmoore@ix.netcom.com (David L Moore) (1998-02-01)
Re: Use of unaligned load/stores by compilers fpeelo@portablesolutions.com (Frank Peelo) (1998-02-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Reid Tatge <reid@micro.ti.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 30 Jan 1998 00:28:56 -0500

The most common issue I've seen regarding the need for unaligned
loads/stores involves the alignment of objects in structures. It
regrettably seems to be common enough for people to assume that
packing of fields is well-defined in C, and to write things like:

      struct {
            char c;
            int i;
    } not_heroic;

and mistakenly assume that this will portably create a structure of 5
bytes (or maybe 3 bytes?) long. When they then read 5 (or 3) bytes
from an I/O device directly into this object, they don't get the
results they expect when they read the values out. Likewise when they
write "sizeof(not_heroic)" bytes to that same I/O device, and all hell
breaks loose.

Over the years, I've had a number of customers insist that our
compilers are buggy because the expensive TCP/IP package they bought,
originally for an X86, doesn't work because our compilers pack the
structure wrong. (Interestingly, at least one of the big TCP/IP
vendors now provides a version of their stuff which works with such
"broken" compilers.)

My experience with adding support for misaligned pointers: not
particularly hard to do, but very inefficient. Every pointer
reference for which analysis or declaration cannot guarantee proper
alignment is subject to significant bloat - effectively loading each
byte, shifting, ORing. For reading a 4-byte value its something like
10 operations. Writes are correspondingly worse. Good candidates for
going out-of-line.

Even in this X86-dominated world, it always surprises me how many
programmers are completely unaware that there is such a thing as
hardware enforced alignment of memory references. <Sigh>

-Reid
[I think this is the 1990s equivalent of the old observation that a
determined programmer can write a Fortran program in any language. -John]