GCC Register Allocator

Andrea Vettori <vettori@dei.unipd.it>
17 Jan 1998 00:04:24 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
GCC Register Allocator vettori@dei.unipd.it (Andrea Vettori) (1998-01-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Andrea Vettori <vettori@dei.unipd.it>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Jan 1998 00:04:24 -0500

Hi,

Looking to assembly code produced by GCC (HPUX on PA-RISC, version
2.7.2) I found that the register allocator reuses as early as possible
the same temporary registers (am I wrong ??). I know that this is
useful for spilling but what about processors that do speculation
without register renaming ?

For my Laurea degree thesis, I'm looking at optimizations that improve
the parallelism of code. Renaming manually the registers and
rescheduling the code (with a global scheduling algorithm) of my
primary test-case (a Full Search Block Matching algorithm) I can get
near 20% improvement on running time on a standard (non speculative)
superscalar processor. It seems to me that even using a basic block
scheduler, the improvement can reach 5-7 %.

After my opinions comes my question :)
Is there a (easy) method to tell GCC to use the temporary registers as a
queue instead of a stack ?

Thanks

--
Andrea Vettori