Lexing overlapping patterns

pollarda@hawaii.edu (Art Pollard)
14 Jan 1998 15:24:56 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Lexing overlapping patterns pollarda@hawaii.edu (1998-01-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: pollarda@hawaii.edu (Art Pollard)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Jan 1998 15:24:56 -0500

Hi.

I am trying to figure out a way to match a series of overlapping patterns
using lex. (Yes, I didn't think this would be easy)

So for example, let us take an example from RTF there might be a sequence
such as this:

1234/bold56789

Where this should be matched as:

123456789
and
/bold

or the other way around.

Of course, the patterns being matched need to be passed on in a way that
they are related to each other. (By proximity or other such association.)
So this rules out lexing it twice in two separate passes.

If anyone has ever wanted to do such a thing (besides me) and found a way
around this limitation, I would love to hear from you.

-Art
--
Art Pollard <PollardA@Hawaii.edu>
Moderator for Comp.Theory.Info-Retrieval