Re: DWARF v2.0 survey question

Michael Meissner <meissner@cygnus.com>
13 Jan 1998 00:20:14 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
DWARF v2.0 survey question geurts@retarget.com (Werner Geurts) (1998-01-11)
Re: DWARF v2.0 survey question krotoff@such.srcc.msu.su (Alexander Krotoff) (1998-01-13)
Re: DWARF v2.0 survey question meissner@cygnus.com (Michael Meissner) (1998-01-13)
Re: DWARF v2.0 survey question wilson@cygnus.com (1998-01-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Michael Meissner <meissner@cygnus.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Jan 1998 00:20:14 -0500

Werner Geurts <geurts@retarget.com> writes:
> I would like to know on which platforms (including development
> environments for embedded processors) DWARF version 2 is used as
> debugging format.

Newer versions of GCC (the Cygnus version, EGCS, and FSF GCC 2.8 if it
ever ships) support Dwarf2 to various targets. Whether it is heavily
used, I dunno, but I suspect it is too new to have been heavily used
at this point.

Our moderator then asks:
> [What other debug format do ELF systems use? -John]

I've seen people using stabs, Dwarf1, MIPS ECOFF debug information
smuggled into ELF. I imagine you could do COFF debug information if
you really wanted to. With regards to GCC based environments, stabs
is the most prevalent. Several of the ABIs that I'm familar with are
sticking with Dwarf1 with extensions for C++ due to the fact that
Dwarf2 is not a standard (the committee essentially went away before
it became an offical standard).
--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions (Massachusetts office)
4th floor, 955 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA