Pascal's display table?

Gu Lin <lgu@usa.net>
29 Dec 1997 21:07:01 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Pascal's display table? lgu@usa.net (Gu Lin) (1997-12-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Gu Lin <lgu@usa.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 29 Dec 1997 21:07:01 -0500

Would somebody please give me some hints on the following question?
Thanks much.

A Pascal program's Active Record in the stack.

--------------
| R |<----- display[4]
|------------ |
| P |
|------------ |
| S |
|------------ |
|------------ |
|------------ |
| Main |<----- display[1]
|------------ |

P,Q,S,R are procedures.

It seems Main calls P, and P calls Q, and Q calls S and S calls P
again, and then P calls R. But I'm confused by the contents in the
display table. What's relationship between these procedures? I mean,
which procedure enclosed which?

Gu Lin
E-Mail: lgu@usa.net
                lgu@guomai.sh.cn
[The display has one entry for each procedure which lexically encloses
the current procedure. The answer depends on how the source code of
the procedures is nested. -John]