Re: profilers

"William A. Barath" <wi534@victoria.tc.canada>
12 Dec 1997 14:55:27 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
profilers Waverly@DigitSW.com (Waverly Edwards) (1997-12-05)
Re: profilers wi534@victoria.tc.ca (William A. Barath) (1997-12-07)
Re: profilers fjh@mundook.cs.mu.OZ.AU (1997-12-10)
Re: profilers bwm@bwmartin.demon.co.uk (Barry Martin) (1997-12-10)
Re: profilers adewitt@cs.cmu.edu (Tony DeWitt) (1997-12-10)
Re: profilers debray@CS.Arizona.EDU (1997-12-12)
Re: profilers cfc@world.std.com (Chris F Clark) (1997-12-12)
Re: profilers wi534@victoria.tc.canada (William A. Barath) (1997-12-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "William A. Barath" <wi534@victoria.tc.canada>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Dec 1997 14:55:27 -0500

On 10 Dec 1997, Barry Martin wrote:

|>The most efficient way I can imagine to do it is this: compile into
|>each function a small code fragment at the entry and exit points which
|>read a global variable containing the seed of a high-resolution timer
|>and add the difference between the two reads to a table entry for that
|It is not quite that simple - execution of a function can be suspended
|for a number of reasons, including awaiting a non-deterministic event,
|such as a key-press, and hence the timer must be stopped and restarted

Under Unix, we can use 'cumulative user time' for our counter, which will
only reflect time spent executing user code. It not affected by system
load, drive-seek delays, keypresses, etc.

Wil Barath, aka WseM : "I feel as though I see my pen to write"
Author of VPM, EDITPLN, and other VGA Planets support programs
Visit my homepage! -------------> http://victoria.tc.ca/~wi534