egcs-1.0 Release

Jeffrey A Law <>
5 Dec 1997 01:00:59 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
egcs-1.0 Release (Jeffrey A Law) (1997-12-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Jeffrey A Law <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 5 Dec 1997 01:00:59 -0500

We are pleased to announce the release of egcs-1.0.

egcs is a collaborative effort involving several groups of hackers using an
open development model to accelerate development and testing of GNU compilers
and runtime libraries.

An important goal of egcs is to allow wide scale testing of experimental
features and optimizations; therefore, egcs contains some features and
optimizations which are still under development. However, egcs has been
carefully tested and should be comparable in quality to most gcc releases.

egcs-1.0 contains many improvements and features not found in gcc-2.7 and
even the soon to be released gcc-2.8 compilers.

      * Integrated C++ runtime libraries, including support for most major
          linux systems!
      * The integrated libstdc++ library includes a verbatim copy of
          SGI's STL release.
      * Integrated GNU Fortran compiler
      * New instruction scheduler
      * New alias analysis code

See the egcs web page for a more complete list of new features, installation
instructions, build/test status, caveats, mailing lists, etc.

You can download egcs-1.0 directly from

The release should be available on the egcs mirrors sites shortly.
See the egcs home page for a list of mirror sites.

We'd like to thank the numerous people that have contributed new features,
test results, bugfixes, documentation updates, web page updates, general
suggestions, etc. Unfortunately, they're far too numerous to mention by

Questions, comments, etc should be directed to
Bug reports should be directed to

[additional info that arrived later -John]

Subject: Additional egcs-1.0 ftp sites.
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 13:24:26 -0700

The T1 into Cygnus's main California offices has been 100% saturated
since shortly after the egcs-1.0 release was announced. We've added
an egcs-1.0 mirror at our Massachusetts office to help share the load
We also encourage folks to use the many mirrors available throughout
the world.

Master site:
US (California)

Alternate site:
US (Massachusetts)

Direct Mirrors:
US (east coast)
US (Arizona)
US (California)
Czech Republic

Sites which mirror indirectly via
Czech Republic

Jeff Law (
Cygnus Solutions EGCS GNU Compiler System