Re: A Java Virtual Machine Assembler?

"W. Craig Trader" <>
13 Nov 1997 23:39:51 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
A Java Virtual Machine Assembler? (A. Rafael Corchuelo y Gil) (1997-11-11)
Re: A Java Virtual Machine Assembler? (Sergey Solyanik) (1997-11-13)
Re: A Java Virtual Machine Assembler? (1997-11-13)
Re: A Java Virtual Machine Assembler? (W. Craig Trader) (1997-11-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "W. Craig Trader" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Nov 1997 23:39:51 -0500

A. Rafael Corchuelo y Gil wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I'm searching for a Java Virtual Machine Assembler, i.e. a compiler
> which translates symbolic JVM code into binary JVM code.

The Java Bytecode Assembler is a program that converts code written
in "Java Assembly Language" into a valid Java .class file.

Jasmin is a Java Assembler Interface. It takes ASCII descriptions for
Java classes, written in a simple assembler-like syntax and using the Java
Virtual Machine instruction set. It converts them into binary Java class
files suitable for loading into a Java interpreter. Jasmin was written
as the companion to the book "Java Virtual Machine", soon to
be published by O'Reilly, written by Troy Downing and Jonathan Meyer.

A java bytecode assembler. Java bytecode can be generated either through
a script which drives the assembler package, or directly accessing the
assembler package from java. The assembler package is very simple, it attempts
neither validation nor optimization of bytecode.

W. Craig Trader, Senior Internet Engineer <>