SLR parse table question

Michael Mstowski <>
13 Nov 1997 23:38:38 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
SLR parse table question (Michael Mstowski) (1997-11-13)
Re: SLR parse table question (1997-11-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Michael Mstowski <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Nov 1997 23:38:38 -0500

I'm trying to understand how to construct a SLR parse table and am
having difficulty building the canonical set of items. The dragon
book shows an algorithm, then magically generates the entire canonical
set. I don't know how the I(n) items are generated from I(1) and
can't determine how the 'dot' is placed. I know how to find the
closure, but after that, things get a bit fuzzy. A simple example
showing all the steps might clear up any problem that I have. Any
help is appreciated with these questions.

Michael Mstowski