Parsing a mathematical expression. Looking for an describing algebra (recursive)

hlinde@euronet.nl (Henk Linde)
11 Nov 1997 14:33:32 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Parsing a mathematical expression. Looking for an describing algebra ( hlinde@euronet.nl (1997-11-11)
Re: Parsing a mathematical expression. Looking for an describing algeb ssolyanik@icdc.com (Sergey Solyanik) (1997-11-13)
Re: Parsing a mathematical expression. Looking for an describing algeb thorssig@mmedia.is (Thorsteinn Sigurdsson) (1997-11-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: hlinde@euronet.nl (Henk Linde)
Newsgroups: sci.math,sci.math.symbolic,comp.compilers
Date: 11 Nov 1997 14:33:32 -0500

Hello,

More than 10 years ago I wrote a program for my first year computing
science in university called expressions. This is a simple parser for
simple mathematical expressions. The most important was to have a good
algebra to start from. Our's looked like this:

expression : term + term; term - term; term .
term : factor * factor; factor / factor; factor.
factor : sign factor
                    ; (expression)
                    ; ident
                    ; constant.
sign : + ; -

I want to expand this to include matrices,functions and user defined
functions. Does anyone here have such an algebra lying around ? Could
you mail it to me ? Or can you point me where I can find one ?

Thanks !

Henk Linde

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Henk Linde