Finite State Machines in compilers

Henrik_Bergstrom <>
11 Nov 1997 14:32:39 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Finite State Machines in compilers (Henrik_Bergstrom) (1997-11-11)
Re: Finite State Machines in compilers (Robert Trevellyan) (1997-11-13)
Re: Finite State Machines in compilers (M. en C. Eduardo René Rodríguez Ávila) (1997-11-16)
Re: Finite State Machines in compilers (Chris Clark USG) (1997-11-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Henrik_Bergstrom <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 11 Nov 1997 14:32:39 -0500

Hello World!

As part of my work on my masters thesis I need information on how Finite
State Machines (FSMs) are used in complers. I don't meen that they are
used for constructing the lexical analyser, but rather things like how
they are implemented, how large the state-set is etc.

If someone has some information on the subject or could point me to some
other source I'd be grateful.

Some of you might be interested in a program I have written as part of the
thesis work. PetC as it is known is a program for simulating and
visualisation of FSMs. Its intended for teaching and therefor have little
interest for someone who want a tool for building compilers. It can be
found at:

Henrik Bergstrom