Re: Just got "Advanced Compiler Design Impementation"

Sergey Solyanik <ssolyanik@icdc.com>
7 Nov 1997 00:53:23 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Just got "Advanced Compiler Design Impementation" opnek@@bgn.mindspring.com (1997-10-26)
Re: Just got "Advanced Compiler Design Impementation" greened@eecs.umich.edu (1997-10-29)
Re: Just got "Advanced Compiler Design Impementation" ssolyanik@icdc.com (Sergey Solyanik) (1997-11-07)
Just got "Advanced Compiler Design Impementation" wilhelm@cs.uni-sb.de (Reinhard Wilhelm) (1997-11-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Sergey Solyanik <ssolyanik@icdc.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 7 Nov 1997 00:53:23 -0500

Jay L Cole wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I just received the book "Advanced Compiler Design Implementation" by
> Steven S. Muchnick. The book is very high quality by Morgan Kaufmann
> publishers.

One of problems with the book that I had is that it is full of bugs,
including ICAN implementations of the algorithms. For example, is it
me or "Smallest_Improper" on Fig 7.45 is badly screwed? E. g. try to
apply it to Fig. 7.49 in the same text...

How about DFS search in Fig. 7.40, in which recursion code is
intermixed with recursion setup? And so on.

BTW, the errata collection on MK web site seems to be way shorter than
it should and apply to some beta version of the book.

Since theoretical desriptions are also nonexistent, I mostly use this
book as thematic bibliography collection...

Regards --

Sergey Solyanik
Software Developer
Bentley Systems, Inc