Question about C++ precompiling into C-code...

Pieter Biemond <rcbapdb@urc.tue.nl>
29 Oct 1997 23:13:24 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Question about C++ precompiling into C-code... rcbapdb@urc.tue.nl (Pieter Biemond) (1997-10-29)
Re: Question about C++ precompiling into C-code... jodle@bix.com (1997-11-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Pieter Biemond <rcbapdb@urc.tue.nl>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 29 Oct 1997 23:13:24 -0500

Hello,

In an article of 1989 I have read the following:

                Object-oriented languages lik C++ and Eiffel usually do not
                translate directly into machine language, but use a precompiler to
                translate into C.

I was wondering if anybody knows which compilers use such a precompiler
and which don't.

Does anybody know where to get more information about this
subject?

Regards,

Pieter Biemond
[Early C++ compilers were all based on Bell Labs' cfront which translated
into C. Most current C++ compilers go direct to assembler or machine code.
As far as I know there's only one source for Eiffel compilers and they all
translate into C. For languages that are either very high level or else
low-level and semantically not too far from C, using C as an intermediate
code isn't a bad way to get bootstrapped. -John]