Re: Postscript Parser (Peter Davis)
21 Oct 1997 21:23:32 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Postscript Parser (1997-10-17)
Re: Postscript Parser (Tom Lane) (1997-10-19)
Re: Postscript Parser (1997-10-19)
Re: Postscript Parser (1997-10-21)
Re: Postscript Parser (Wolfgang Glunz) (1997-10-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Peter Davis)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.postscript,comp.compilers
Date: 21 Oct 1997 21:23:32 -0400

On 17 Oct 1997 22:49:37 -0400, David Withers <> wrote:
> I'm trying to create a tool that recognises rectangles and text in
> PostScript diagrams and makes HTML image maps. Does anyone know of a
> PostScript parser that creates AST's or a grammar that I can use to
> make one?

The simplest approach would be to create a short PostScript prolog
which redefines certain operators to test for "rectangle-ness," and
then writes the appropriate HTML to a file. You would probably want
to redefine stroke, fill, rectstroke and rectfill.

This will not be completely bullet-proof, but it's simple, and will
probably cover all the cases you need to worry about.

Peter Davis
[Sounds good to me, leverage that existing Postscript interpreter. -John]