Re: Parsing postal addresses

Henry Spencer <henry@zoo.toronto.edu>
19 Oct 1997 00:54:36 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Parsing postal addresses brians0@aol.com (1997-10-14)
Re: Parsing postal addresses lindsay_j@rmc.ca (John Lindsay) (1997-10-16)
Re: Parsing postal addresses cfc@world.std.com (1997-10-16)
Re: Parsing postal addresses dweller@news.imagin.net (1997-10-17)
Re: Parsing postal addresses henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) (1997-10-19)
Re: Parsing postal addresses mac@coos.dartmouth.edu (1997-10-21)
Re: Parsing postal addresses ct7@mitre.org (W. Craig Trader) (1997-10-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Henry Spencer <henry@zoo.toronto.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Oct 1997 00:54:36 -0400

John Lindsay <lindsay_j@rmc.ca> wrote:
>> I am looking for information on parsing postal addresses ...
>
>Seriously, in the face of a probable mess of a problem like this,
>consider SNOBOL4, and in particular the SPITBOL compiler for SNOBOL4.
>This system and its cousins have bailed out more than one programmer
>in the face of nests of various incongruous data formats...

A less-drastic alternative is to use one of several freely-redistributable
regular-expression packages in C. They don't have quite the power of
SNOBOL4 or Icon, but there's also less learning overhead. For example,
ftp://ftp.zoo.toronto.edu/pub/bookregexp.shar is the earliest and simplest
(and probably most widely used, to judge by the mail I get).