Re: Postscript Parser (Aandi Inston)
19 Oct 1997 00:53:53 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Postscript Parser (1997-10-17)
Re: Postscript Parser (Tom Lane) (1997-10-19)
Re: Postscript Parser (1997-10-19)
Re: Postscript Parser (1997-10-21)
Parsing stack-based languages (Olivier Lefevre) (1997-10-26)
Re: Postscript Parser (Wolfgang Glunz) (1997-10-26)
Re: Parsing stack-based languages (1997-10-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Aandi Inston)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.postscript,comp.compilers
Date: 19 Oct 1997 00:53:53 -0400
>I'm trying to create a tool that recognises rectangles and text in
>PostScript diagrams and makes HTML image maps. Does anyone know of a
>PostScript parser that creates AST's or a grammar that I can use to
>make one?

PostScript isn't a language that can be parsed by a grammar. It's a
full programming language, but it's stack based (no structure) and
interpreted so the running program can change the meaning.

You'll need a PostScript interpreter. The only free one is GhostScript
(not necessarily free if you're trying to write a commercial tool). It
has a text extraction tool, but text is so quirky in PostScript that
it can't always be reliably extracted. (For a start it can be in any
order on the page).
Aandi Inston
Visit for info on PostScript,