Re: Parsing postal addresses (David Weller)
17 Oct 1997 22:48:29 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Parsing postal addresses (1997-10-14)
Re: Parsing postal addresses (John Lindsay) (1997-10-16)
Re: Parsing postal addresses (1997-10-16)
Re: Parsing postal addresses (1997-10-17)
Re: Parsing postal addresses (Henry Spencer) (1997-10-19)
Re: Parsing postal addresses (1997-10-21)
Re: Parsing postal addresses (W. Craig Trader) (1997-10-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (David Weller)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Oct 1997 22:48:29 -0400

John Lindsay <> wrote:
>Seriously, in the face of a probable mess of a problem like this,
>consider SNOBOL4, and in particular the SPITBOL compiler for SNOBOL4.
>This system and its cousins have bailed out more than one programmer
>in the face of nests of various incongruous data formats. The
>language is now very well matured, and has an active following and a
>net discussion group. It's both a character string handling - pattern
>matching and a data structures handling language.

The latest version of the free Ada95 compiler, GNAT, also has a
SPITBOL support package.

While Ada95 may not seem "sexy", it has a surprising amount of power:
more efficient than most C++ implementations, ability to generate Java
bytecode from source, and now, the addition of pattern-matching found
in SPITBOL. It's not for everybody, and I'm certainly NOT saying
Ada95 is a good replacement for Lex/Yacc or ANTLR, but it _might_ suit
your needs.