References to Finite Automata theory

Michael <mcr@visi.com>
14 Oct 1997 00:32:26 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
References to Finite Automata theory mcr@visi.com (Michael) (1997-10-14)
Re: References to Finite Automata theory ludemann@inxight.com (Peter Ludemann) (1997-10-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Michael <mcr@visi.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Oct 1997 00:32:26 -0400
Posted-Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 17:21:29 -0500 (CDT)

Hi all,

I've been trying to teach myself the concepts and practical
applications of finite automatons by implementing simple regex search
engines but would like to expand this into a formal generator for
lexical analyzers.

I've got a few of the classic texts, like the 'dragon book', but am
having difficulty in understanding the set theory used to describe
NFAs and their corresponding translation to DFAs and MiniDFAs.

I've fairly proficent in C/C++ and can make due with either basic or
pascal examples if necessary.

Any pointers to references, either on the 'net or in a book, I'd
really appreciate it. As a side note, I'd like to advance my
understanding enough to read these texts, any advice on learning the
set theory they use? I'm real rusty on my math and have just decided
to go back to school and finish my BS CS degree, so please bear with
me.

Thanks in advance,
  Michael