Re: any performance profiling tools ??

Glenn Everhart <everhart@gce.com>
30 Sep 1997 16:29:13 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
any performance profiling tools ?? chunghsu@george.rutgers.edu (1997-09-23)
Re: any performance profiling tools ?? dccoote@werple.mira.net.au (1997-09-28)
Re: any performance profiling tools ?? everhart@gce.com (Glenn Everhart) (1997-09-30)
Re: any performance profiling tools ?? cfc@world.std.com (1997-10-01)
Re: any performance profiling tools ?? steve@blighty.com (1997-10-01)
Re: any performance profiling tools ?? ok@cs.rmit.edu.au (1997-10-02)
(fwd) Re: any performance profiling tools ?? koopman@cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) (1997-10-02)
Re: any performance profiling tools ?? sanjay@src.dec.com (1997-10-02)
Re: any performance profiling tools ?? jason@reflections.com.au (Jason Patterson) (1997-10-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Glenn Everhart <everhart@gce.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.arch,comp.benchmarks
Date: 30 Sep 1997 16:29:13 -0400

David Coote wrote:
> [ re profiling tools ]
> On a slightly different note, DEC also has ATOM, a very nice profiling
> tool-suite. This has some supported tools, some unsupported tools that
> give some guidance on how to "roll-your-own" tools, and a tool
> building kit. As a completely unsolicited testimonial, at first glance
> under DEC UNIX 4.0b the ATOM tool suite seems to work with GNAT Ada
> 3.10/3.11. Anyone who has tried to get third-party
> profiling/performance analysis tools working with Ada development
> environments will appreciate that.

My understanding of ATOM is that it works at the executable or object
layer...not sure which offhand...so should work for basically anything
that the loader understands. What ATOM does is global optimization and
I believe some customization for particular alpha chip. I've heard of
20% gains in execution speed through the thing, though YMMV as
usual...
[Do any of these address the original question about profiling at a low
enough level to count cache misses and the like? -John]