New Win32 Profiling Tool Available for Download

bchen@steward.eecs.harvard.edu (Brad Chen)
23 Sep 1997 23:36:33 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
New Win32 Profiling Tool Available for Download bchen@steward.eecs.harvard.edu (1997-09-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: bchen@steward.eecs.harvard.edu (Brad Chen)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Sep 1997 23:36:33 -0400

The Etch group at UW and Harvard is distributing some program
development and analysis tools based on the Etch Binary
Rewriting Engine for NT/x86 boxes.

The first of these tools is a call graph profiler that helps
programmers understand where time is going in their programs.
The Etch Call Graph Profiler works on Win32 apps built by most
compilers, does not require source, works with multithreaded
programs, understands program and system DLLs, and is designed
to run reasonably fast even if your machine only has an 'average'
configuration. We've used it on serious programs ranging from
Microsoft's SQL server to Lotus Wordpro, and even on Direct Draw
games like Monster Truck Madness.

If you'd like to give our profiler a try, you can download it from:

http://etch.cs.washington.edu

Follow the link to Download Etch Tools.

Part of our motivation for distributing these tools is to get
some feedback about what we've built and what we should be
building. So please give our tools a try, and send mail to
etch-support@etch.cs.washington.edu with your comments and
suggestions.

Enjoy!

The Etch Group