Procedure Calling Conventions

"Mr. Yogi" <yogi@cadence.com>
12 Sep 1997 21:29:54 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Procedure Calling Conventions yogi@cadence.com (Mr. Yogi) (1997-09-12)
Re: Procedure Calling Conventions jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr (1997-09-15)
Re: Procedure Calling Conventions shankar@powertelglobal.com (Shankar Unni) (1997-09-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Mr. Yogi" <yogi@cadence.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Sep 1997 21:29:54 -0400

Hi,
    please suggest me some reference/book on procedure calling conventions
for intel's x86 family processors. I need to know the
Caller-save/Callee-save partition of integer and FPU registers.

thanks,

-- yogi (yogi@cadence.com)
Software Engg.
Cadence Design Inc.
[Interesting question, I don't have any references at hand. There are at
least two popular x86 calling sequences, C (push args right to left and
caller pops) and Pascal (push args left to right and callee pops), with
mutants. At least they agree that floating registers are all caller saves
and nobody seems to worry about FP stack overflow. -John]