Parsing infix notation

Axel Schairer <>
7 Sep 1997 15:07:15 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Parsing infix notation (Axel Schairer) (1997-09-07)
Re: Parsing infix notation (Jonathan Eifrig) (1997-09-12)
Re: Parsing infix notation (Norman Ramsey) (1997-09-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Axel Schairer <>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.dylan,comp.lang.lisp,comp.compilers
Date: 7 Sep 1997 15:07:15 -0400

Barry Margolin wrote:
> Gareth McCaughan <> wrote:
> > - infix languages are less easily parsed;
> This is an issue for quick and dirty code, but it's not an issue for
> implementors -- compiler technology to parse infix notation is quite
> mature.

This might be true. It is true, of course, if you know all your infix
operators when you build your parser/parse tables. But I do not know
how to handle the situation where you

    - have user-defined infixes _and_
    - you want/need to use tools like bison/yacc/zebu ...

Is there something I should know and obviously don't?

Thanks, Axel

=== Axel Schairer, htt p://www .df se/staf f/sch airer/ ===
[So long as you predefine a parser rule for each precedence level, it's
not hard to fiddle the lexer to return user-defined operators as op tokens
at the appropriate level. -John]