RE: implementation of optimization phase? Books?

Joe Hummel <>
30 Aug 1997 00:52:27 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
implementation of optimization phase? Books? Papers? (Jeffrey Vetter) (1997-08-28)
RE: implementation of optimization phase? Books? (Joe Hummel) (1997-08-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Joe Hummel <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 30 Aug 1997 00:52:27 -0400

Jeffrey Vetter <> wrote:
>Can you tell me a nice textbook that describes heuristic methods for
>compiler optimization?

And our moderator:
>[I'm not aware of any up to date optimization texts. It's all journal
>articles and conference papers. -John]

Perhaps either of the following might be of interest (I haven't looked
at either in depth -- can anyone comment?):

  (1) Mike Wolfe's recent book
  (2) Steve Muchnick has a '97 book (out yet?) on "advanced compiler
          optimization", Kaufman is the publisher I think.

    - joe

Joe Hummel
ICS Graduate Student, UC Irvine