ACM Crossroads Call for Articles

rc42@cornell.edu (Randolph Chung)
7 Aug 1997 15:26:41 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
ACM Crossroads Call for Articles rc42@cornell.edu (1997-08-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: rc42@cornell.edu (Randolph Chung)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: 7 Aug 1997 15:26:41 -0400

                                                      Call For Articles
                                    Crossroads, the ACM Student Magazine
                                                Java (Winter 1997)

                            DUE DATE: Sept 5, 1997
                            SUBMISSION ADDRESS: xrds-submit@acm.org
                            INFORMATION: http://www.acm.org/crossroads/
                                                                      crossroads@acm.org

The Crossroads editorial staff invites authors to submit articles dealing with
topics drawn from several areas pertaining to the Java language. The
following partial list of topics is provided to give prospective authors ideas
for articles and is by no means exhaustive; other relevant topics will be
considered.

            case studies of the use of Java
            Java language specifics and tutorials
            Java Run Time internals
            porting issues
            development techniques employing Java
            security issues surrounding Java
            multimedia development using Java
            authoring and scripting web applications with Java
            adding new features to the language, e.g.,
                  persistence, real-time support
            GUI design with Java
            Just-in-Time compiling
            comparisons with other languages
            Java machines

Articles should include a basic description of the kinds of problems
being worked on, the state of the art of research, the state of the
art of commercial applications, open problems, or future
research/commercial development trends. Interviews with Java
researchers; reviews of Java- related books, software, videos, or
conferences; and opinion columns on Java-related issues are also
welcome. We especially encourage both undergraduate and graduate
students to submit articles. However, articles written or coauthored
by professionals will also be considered.

Crossroads articles should be written for a broad audience. They
should be easily understandable by someone who has had only the most
basic computer science instruction, and yet still be interesting to
the advanced computer enthusiast. Articles longer than 6000 words
will generally not be considered for publication. Feature articles
should be between 1500 and 6000 words; reviews should be between 800
and 2000 words; and opinion columns should be between 800 and 3000
words. Articles should be written in a magazine style rather than a
research paper style. In consideration of our diverse readership,
authors should try to use language that is inclusive of people
regardless of their gender, race, religion, nationality, or field of
study. Additional writing guidelines and submission information are
available online at the Crossroads web site:
http://www.acm.org/crossroads/

Crossroads is published both online and in print. We have a print
circulation of about 13,000. All back issues are available for free
on our website.

All submissions should be formatted in HTML or plain text format and
emailed to xrds-submit@acm.org. Please include your submission in the
body of your message: DO NOT include it as an attachment. Submissions
are due September 5, 1997. They will be reviewed shortly thereafter
and authors of accepted submissions will be notified within two to
three weeks of the deadline.

Prospective authors are invited to send email to the editors of
Crossroads (crossroads@acm.org) indicating their intention to submit
an article. In this way we can keep everyone informed of any changes
in deadlines or formats and to make sure we have a good variety of
articles. General questions should also be sent to the Crossroads
editors.

SPECIAL NOTE: If you are interested in being a guest editor for this issue,
drop us a line at crossroads@acm.org.

(by way of Randolph Chung, General Editor, ACM Crossroads)