Re: Anybody has experience with SLIM BINARIES?

poing@luna.nl (Paul van der Valk)
13 Jul 1997 11:52:35 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Anybody has experience with SLIM BINARIES? Robert.M.Muench@SCRAP.de (Robert M. Muench) (1997-06-20)
Anybody has experience with SLIM BINARIES? Robert.M.Muench@SCRAP.de (Robert M. Muench) (1997-06-30)
Re: Anybody has experience with SLIM BINARIES? maatwerk@euronet.nl (Mauk van der Laan) (1997-07-08)
Re: Anybody has experience with SLIM BINARIES? jhan@delphi.umd.edu (1997-07-09)
Re: Anybody has experience with SLIM BINARIES? poing@luna.nl (1997-07-13)
Re: Anybody has experience with SLIM BINARIES? mkgardne@cs.uiuc.edu (1997-07-16)
Re: Anybody has experience with SLIM BINARIES? poing@luna.nl (1997-07-16)
Re: Anybody has experience with SLIM BINARIES? danwang@dynamic.CS.Princeton.EDU (Daniel Wang) (1997-07-18)
Re: Anybody has experience with SLIM BINARIES? michael_werts@taligent.com (Michael C. Werts) (1997-07-18)
Re: Anybody has experience with SLIM BINARIES? kistler@ics.uci.edu (Thomas Kistler) (1997-07-22)
Re: Anybody has experience with SLIM BINARIES? pardo@cs.washington.edu (1997-07-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: poing@luna.nl (Paul van der Valk)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Jul 1997 11:52:35 -0400

Mauk van der Laan <maatwerk@euronet.nl> wrote:
>I am working on a compiler that produces bytecode - not meant for an
>interpreter but for machine language generation. It will be
>multi-platform, fast-loading and fast-running. Unfortunately, there is
>no documentation available, but I welcome any discussions.

Interesting. I'm working on something similar, although it's in an
early beta stage. I wonder, will your format be public so 3rd parties
can implement backends for various platforms?

Does your bytecode imply a virtual machine, or do you 'keep' the
expressions like Slim Binaries?

While on Slim Binaries: I agree that it's a great concept, but
unfortunately progress seem to have stagnated a bit. At least I've
seen little traffic around SlimBins on the net for half a year or so.
I wonder how much effort it would take to create a (f.e.) BeOS
backend, and if this is legally possible.

Paul
[I would carefully investigage the many failed UNCOL projects over the
past 40 years to be sure you understand why creating and using a
common intermediate code is much harder than it looks. Slim binaries
are a fine idea for Macs where you have different instruction sets
with identical operating systems and data formats. As soon as you
have more moving parts, the idea starts to collapse. -John]