Re: Applying compiler technologies to the document processing industry

John Lilley <jlilley@empathy.com>
11 Jun 1997 00:01:47 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Applying compiler technologies to the document processing industry vlaures@igcom.fr (Laurent Sabarthez) (1997-05-30)
Re: Applying compiler technologies to the document processing industry genew@vip.net (1997-05-31)
Re: Applying compiler technologies to the document processing industry jlilley@empathy.com (John Lilley) (1997-06-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: John Lilley <jlilley@empathy.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 11 Jun 1997 00:01:47 -0400

Laurent Sabarthez wrote:

> There are differences, however. For example, the borderline between
> lexical and syntactic issues is not always that clear. We don't have
> code generators, of course, but rather "text/markup" generators.

I don't know if this is applicable to your situation, but ANTLR 2.0
creates LL(k) lexers with predicates and backtracking. This lets you
perform operations one character at-a-time that would normally be
reserved for a parser. ANTLR 2.0 is written in Java and produces
Java; however, it is designed to supprt installable code-generators.

For more information, check out:

http://www.magelang.com/antlr
http://www.magelang.com/antlr/download.html

The download address seems to be temporarily out of order. Send mail
to: parrt@magelang.com for more info.

john lilley