Ada Interpreter using YACC or BISON

Christoph Bochsler <>
9 Jun 1997 23:50:28 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Ada Interpreter using YACC or BISON (Christoph Bochsler) (1997-06-09)
Re: Ada Interpreter using YACC or BISON (1997-06-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Christoph Bochsler <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 9 Jun 1997 23:50:28 -0400

Hello I try to generate an interpreter for an Ada-like language. I had
a short look to the FLEX/BISON utilities but I actually don't know if
it's possible to build an interpreter instead of a compiler. I need a
program which can do the following:

Source file example:

a int;
for (i==1,i<10,i++) do

The Interpreter is called by a function like:

GetNextCommand(in out TheCommand TCommand)

And should receive me the next Command (i.e. COMMAND).

Is it possible to controll the parser i.e. start, stop, restart and
setposition etc.?

Thanx for your help
[It's possible, but it's not easy. I always tell people to make one pass to
translate to byte codes, then intepret the byte codes. -John]