Re: why did you chose compiler development?

marssaxman@sprynet.com (Mars Saxman)
27 May 1997 23:50:13 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
why did you chose compiler development? ast@halcyon.com (1997-05-22)
Re: why did you chose compiler development? salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (1997-05-25)
Re: why did you chose compiler development? walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (1997-05-25)
Re: why did you chose compiler development? scotts@metaware.com (Scott Stanchfield) (1997-05-25)
Re: why did you chose compiler development? thetick@scruz.net (Scott Stanchfield) (1997-05-27)
Re: why did you chose compiler development? marssaxman@sprynet.com (1997-05-27)
Re: why did you chose compiler development? ian@five-d.com (1997-05-30)
Re: why did you chose compiler development? conway@mundook.cs.mu.OZ.AU (1997-05-30)
Re: why did you chose compiler development? dwight@pentasoft.com (Dwight VandenBerghe) (1997-05-31)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: marssaxman@sprynet.com (Mars Saxman)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 May 1997 23:50:13 -0400

Andrew Tucker wrote:
> I just quit my current job to take my first compiler development
> position. In doing so, lots of people have asked me why I want to
> get into compiler development and it has made me think about it. I
> have my standard reasons (listed below), but I wonder what makes you
> enjoy this area?

Compilers are a very "pure" sort of programming exercise. They seem to
maximise the fun stuff - zippy algorithms, tight data structures,
simple databasing, parsing, and all that, while cutting away most of
the annoying time-wasters that plague modern applications. As was
pointed out here previously, compilers don't have to worry about
random asynchronous user events. In addition, for the most part, the
vagaries of ever-changing commercial OSes don't touch the compiler.

I got into compiling for purely practical reasons - nobody had written
a compiler for x language on y platform and nobody seemed likely to do
so. It's been "a learning experience" of course, but also a great lot
of fun.

-Mars