Re: Warren Abstract Machine

"Dwight VandenBerghe" <>
19 May 1997 23:24:22 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Warren Abstract Machine (Andrew Gavin) (1997-05-16)
Re: Warren Abstract Machine (Dwight VandenBerghe) (1997-05-19)
Re: Warren Abstract Machine (1997-05-22)
Re: Warren Abstract Machine (Clark L. Coleman) (1997-05-22)
Re: Warren Abstract Machine (1997-05-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Dwight VandenBerghe" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 May 1997 23:24:22 -0400

> Does anyone know where I might find some information on Warren
> Abstract Machines? I am interested in books web sites and publically
> available papers.

You might try U Manchester, and more locally, Argonne National Labs,
around the mid-eighties time frame. I wrote a Prolog-to-WAM compiler
for Argonne in 1985 or 6, and I think they published something about
it. (The compiler was infamous because I wrote it in awk. What was
not commonly known, to defend myself a little, is that I designed it
in three days and wrote it in seven, so that when I left after my
two-week visit was up, they had a full, working Prolog. Yes, yes, I
know ... it was a little slow..... but it did work. :)

> Failing this does anyone know any other languages like prolog which
> are have similar unification and backtracking features? [If that is
> not too dumb a question]

Take a look at Leda, if you're new at this stuff. It is a more gentle
introduction to the process than jumping into the WAM description.
("Multiparadign Programming in LEDA" by Budd)