The complexity snake eats its tail

The Flanagans <stevef7@erols.com>
19 May 1997 23:21:36 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
The complexity snake eats its tail stevef7@erols.com (The Flanagans) (1997-05-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: The Flanagans <stevef7@erols.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 May 1997 23:21:36 -0400

I work with smallTalk ( everyone turn your head and spit ) and
recently I've been looking at ways of making one of our formula
processors more efficient. This processor, written in smallTalk,
parses and executes equations one line at a time and often, is forced
to reprocess the same equation set many times from scratch. One
simple speed enhancement would be to reduce a given set of equations
into quads that would contain variable references so they didn't have
to be looked up repeatedly.

    It seems ridiculous to write an intermediate code interpreter in a
high level language like smallTalk... but many times you are confined
to one language. I would like to hear any other stories about
"swatting a fly with the Aegis defense system" ( having to implement
low-level functionality in a high level language ).