Re: question on books about 'modern' compilers

Nick Barnes <nickb@harlequin.co.uk>
16 May 1997 00:50:20 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
question on books about 'modern' compilers niall@cs.ucc.ie (Niall Dalton) (1997-05-05)
Re: question on books about 'modern' compilers dimock@deas.harvard.edu (Allyn Dimock) (1997-05-08)
Re: question on books about 'modern' compilers bs@hplb.hpl.hp.com (1997-05-13)
Re: question on books about 'modern' compilers markagr@aol.com (1997-05-14)
Re: question on books about 'modern' compilers nickb@harlequin.co.uk (Nick Barnes) (1997-05-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Nick Barnes <nickb@harlequin.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 May 1997 00:50:20 -0400

markagr@aol.com (MarkAGr) writes:

> I have it on good authority, ( one of Uncle Don's ex-students )
> that Donald Knuth is not only revising "Art of Computer Programming
> 1,2 & 3" for the year 2000, but that he has retired from lecturing to
> continue with books 4 & 5, in 2003 and 2009 respectively. One of these
> new tomes will contain much material on compiler writing
> techniques. Another book in the compiler writers arsenal ... my copy
> of the dragon book is getting worn out.
>
> Mark
> [I hear he's even forsworn e-mail until it's done. -John]

See <URL:http://www-cs-staff.Stanford.EDU/~knuth/taocp.html>,
        <URL:http://www-cs-staff.Stanford.EDU/~knuth/news.html>, and
related pages. New editions of volumes 1, 2, and 3 are coming out Real
Soon Now (i.e. this year; Vol 1 already has an ISBN). Volume 4
(Combinatorial Algorithms) will be three separate subvolumes (4A:
Enumeration and Backtracking, 4B: Graph and Network Algorithms, 4C:
Optimization and Recursion), in fascicles beginning in 1998 with
finished volumes in 2003. Volume 5 (Syntactic Algorithms) is estimated
to come in 2009. Then volumes 1-3 will be revised, then there will be
a digest of 1-5, then, God willing, he'll work on volumes 6 (the
Theory of Context-Free Languages) and 7 (Compiler techniques), "but
only if the things I want to say about those topics are still relevant
and still haven't been said".

Volumes 5-7 plainly will have a lot of compiler-related stuff, but all
the volumes should be compulsory reading for all programmers, whether
they are compiler-writers or not.

Knuth stopped having an email address on 1990-01-01. See
<URL:http://www-cs-staff.Stanford.EDU/~knuth/email.html>

Nick Barnes