Seeking brief description of the benefits of Type Inference

david.witten@template.com (David Witten)
12 May 1997 00:22:23 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Seeking brief description of the benefits of Type Inference david.witten@template.com (1997-05-12)
Re: Seeking brief description of the benefits of Type Inference salomon@nickel.cs.umanitoba.ca (1997-05-13)
Re: Seeking brief description of the benefits of Type Inference djw@cis.ksu.edu (Derek J. Witt) (1997-06-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: david.witten@template.com (David Witten)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 May 1997 00:22:23 -0400

I have noticed that there have been several papers detailing different
algorithms for doing type inference, typically with respect to ML.
This leads me to conclude that it must be quite useful.

I don't know ML (or any other language that has type inference), and so
don't know why type inference is good. Other than obviating the need
to declare the type of constructs what are the benefits of it to the
work-a-day programmer/maintainer?

Could someone tell me an on-line reference that will answer my
question?

--
-Thanks, David Template Software david.witten@template.com