Re: converter from COFF to IEEE

Ian Lance Taylor <>
8 May 1997 00:59:40 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
converter from COFF to IEEE (1997-04-30)
Re: converter from COFF to IEEE (Ian Lance Taylor) (1997-05-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Ian Lance Taylor <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 May 1997 00:59:40 -0400

In comp.compilers writes:

>Using an older realtime operating system we have the need to convert
>COFF data to IEEE format for use on a 68000 emulator.

>Does anyone know how to get such a converter an how reliable converters
>of this kind are?

The GNU binutils package includes the objcopy program, which can
convert fully linked m68k COFF files to IEEE-695, including converting
all the debugging information. Do something like
        objcopy -O ieee --debugging COFF IEEE

The convertor seems to work well when converting stabs debugging
information, as generated by gcc when configured with --with-stabs. I
don't think it's been tested much with standard COFF debugging
information, but the code is there and it ought to work.

Ian Taylor