Help with compiling -- DLX

b-fuhs@staff.uiuc.edu (brian kirk fuhs)
5 May 1997 22:04:38 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Help with compiling -- DLX b-fuhs@staff.uiuc.edu (1997-05-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: b-fuhs@staff.uiuc.edu (brian kirk fuhs)
Newsgroups: comp.arch,comp.compilers
Date: 5 May 1997 22:04:38 -0400

OK. This may sound strange, but...

I'm a student. It's my last semester, and I'm doing a
research project. I'm trying to gather data on branching behavior,
using SPEC95 and the DLX architecture presented in a textbook by
Patterson and Hennesey. Only, since this is an entirely theoretical
architecture, actually using the DLX instruction set requires a
special compiler and simulator, which I need to compile to gather my
data.

Well, I've been trying to compile them, and have been getting
unresolved symbol references. I've tried on several platforms, and
have even tried modifying the code myself, but have so far been
unsuccessful. To make things that little bit more exciting, email
sent to the contact address listed in the textbook bounces. Has
anyone out there had any experience compiling dlxsim and dlxcc (from
ftp://max.stanford.edu/hennesy-patterson.software/dlx.tar.Z)? It's
getting rather late in the semester, and I'm getting rather desperate.

Thanks in advance for any help.